Students from the Royal academy of dramatic art
- Jon's vocal work helped me find surprising, wonderful sounds in parts of my voice I could not have discovered through imitation or effort. They not only presented a more imaginative range of spoken and sung sounds for the stage, but added a layer of depth to my own speaking voice.
- Jon's techniques helped me to explore my emotional range connecting to my true self with my naked voice. It was shocking and liberating!
- Jon's unique approach to discovering the voice has helped me to grow in a very short space of time from technically competent to something much more organic and sensitive. By exploring the extremities of my own voice, I have found sounds I never knew I was capable of making, but also the familiar sounds have become much easier, much more emotionally connected. Sometimes in the past, I think I have been so concerned about vocal safety that I have limited how I express myself, but Jon has taught me that I can make any sound safely by releasing tension and truthfully connecting the sound to a real desire to make the sound; revolutionary yet it should be so obvious!
- I've always had real insecurities with my voice but how you worked with us was so encouraging (and fun!) that all doubt was easy to overcome. Through the work I have been able to reach new notes and discover sounds I didn't know were possible to make with the human voice. It is also the first time in all my training that the word "resonator" has gained a meaning for me!
Students from sing a secret @ Judson Church
(These free introductions to Inside Voice techniques are ongoing. Register for a class today!)
- There's a deeply uplifting energy, and the success of others makes you want to go after your own expression more, rather than set yourself up for failure...Jon creates an environment where artists are free to explore, and "failure" feels like it doesn't even really exist in the walls of his classroom.And it's truly an amazing experience just watching Jon coach a singer...He hones in on one particular detail that catches his attention, but as soon as he calls it out and directs it, entire musical vistas open up for the person singing...I left the workshop with a sense of agency over my own sound and vocal feeling...I have very simple tools that I can use daily, and if today's workshop is any indicator, they are as profound as they are easy to do.
(Read the full article Timothy wrote about the class here.)
- In all my training as an actor (BFA and MFA included!), my voice has never felt so... Creative. Do it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll learn and you'll love.
- It completely changed the way I sing, think about singing, and enjoy doing it all! Probably one of the most singular and helpful 3 hour periods of my life. I'll be going again soon.
- It was the perfect antidote to the stress-inducing, pitch-matching, piano-banging voice lessons of my youth.
- Thank you for such a grounding, opening, and cathartic experience. "My voice is me." * Mind changing *
- I wanted to say how incredible I found your workshop... you made what is (at least for me) quite a traumatic experience, one of the most liberating and enjoyable things I've done - thank you! It was great to hear everyone's voices blossom.
- My body is buzzing with vibration and I feel my voice opening to new pathways of expression.
- Jon's workshop and techniques helped me to open around people in ways that I would not in real life, to explore the personality of my voice without self-consciousness and with the support of a group. I left feeling totally elevated, just joyful inside and proud of myself, proud to be a part of a shared experience with a group of people I had never met before.
- You unlocked different voices in me I didn't know I had!
- [One] aspect of your class that I really appreciated was the emphasis you placed on pleasure as being at the core of creative work. During the first couple of exercises we did, i realized that, shockingly, I can't remember sensual pleasure ever being emphasized as a basic component of performing theater/music in any class I have ever taken.